In 2010 Horse Haven of Tennessee implemented a new program that helps equine owners who have fallen on hard times. This program is not a hand out, but a hand up. It is designed for equine owners who have fallen temporarily on hard times and who have demonstrated a desire and willingness to resume full responsibility once their situation changes. This is help for responsible owners that have put the best interest of their horses first, owners who have resigned themselves to the possibility of surrendering their equine to a rescue to insure their continued well being.
Horse Haven of Tennessee feels that these owners deserve the chance to retain ownership instead of giving up these animals that they truly don’t want to lose. To help them accomplish this is the reason we started the “Helping Hoof Program”.
This program will financially help owners who qualify for the program’s guidelines by providing them temporarily with feed and hay. Helping them to feed their animals during this short term setback in their lives will hopefully enable them to retain ownership, or find permanent placement into a new home.
Requirements for Eligibility for the Helping Hoof Program
• Applicant must be a resident of Tennessee
• Applicant’s horses must be personal horses; no professionals may apply.
• A maximum of two horses may be fed with this program.
Job Loss or injury within 90 days of application for assistance
Applicant must provide three references:
1. Employment reference if a job was lost –OR– Medical reference if it is a medical
situation. (for other unusual financial circumstances, please inform HHT and we will
work with the applicant.
2. Veterinarian reference
3. Feed store or hay provider reference
• The feed and hay will be provided through a local feed store and local hay providers, pre-paid by HHT
• Applicants must read and sign the recommended guidelines for feeding their horses
with this program.
• Successful applicants must provide 8 hours of volunteer work for Horse Haven of
Tennessee. (if physically able)
• Recipients may not apply for the program again for 12 months.
Approval or denial of acceptance into the program is at the discretion of Horse Haven of Tennessee.
Horse Haven of Tennessee assumes no responsibility for the health of the horses where feed or hay has been provided through this program.
To apply for this program, please request an application by sending us an email below.
For a horse in good body flesh it cost us approximately $125 to feed a month.
If you would like to help a neighbor in need by donating to this program, click on the donation button below