Horse Haven of Tennessee
Horse Haven of Tennessee seeks to hire an experienced Development/Communications Officer to join our team and volunteers. We are looking for someone creative, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented that has the ability to work independently as well as with a team. A professional with strong writing skills, social media skills, and the ability to work with a broad base of donors depicts the ideal candidate.
About Horse Haven of Tennessee (HHT):
Founded in 1999, Horse Haven of Tennessee’s mission is to rescue, rehab and rehome God’s neglected and abused equine in the State of TN through programs of shelter, adoption and education.
HHT is the state’s largest and oldest equine welfare organization. Since 1999, HHT has cared for over 950 horses, rescuing them from abuse and neglect, nursing them back to health, and then placing them in safe, loving homes.
HHT does its’ work by assisting law enforcement officials to transport and care for horses that are seized during criminal abuse and neglect cases. The horses are then cared for at HHT while the cases proceed through court.
The Development/Communications Officer will report to and work in partnership with the Executive Director (ED). She/he will spearhead and implement a development plan and communications efforts to help nurture current donor relationships, identify new prospective donors, develop a social media presence, organize and promote special events, prepare newsletters and other communication materials as designated.
Key Responsibilities of Development:
- Establish annual fundraising goals, which support the budget requirements of HHT and work with the Executive Director and Board to develop an annual fundraising plan with achievable goals and objectives.
- Identify and solicit new prospects for gifts.
- Identify and solicit new prospects to support special events such as but not limited to sponsorships.
- Assist Executive Director to develop and implement a plan for increasing corporate support.
- Assist Executive Director to solicit new donor prospects for support of operations, estate planning, and endowment.
- Help to coordinate ongoing donor cultivation, solicitation, communication and recognition.
- Ensure that leads on prospective donors generated by other HHT staff, volunteers, or at functions are persued.
- Assist the Board of Directors in following up on suggested leads.
- Coordinate and manage special events and fund raisers in conjunction with other HHT staff, Board of Directors and committee chairs/members.
- This includes, but is not limited to: Dancing for the Horses, Boo at the Barn, Open House, and events with Twinkie (HHT’s Mascot, an American Miniature Horse.)
Key Responsibilities Communications
- Ensure appropriate publicity for the program through all media channels as well as newsletter articles, web site updates and other requested materials. Capture human interest stories in order to convey the value of HHT’s service to the state of Tennessee.
- Keep displays and literature current.
- Work with the Executive Director, approve all Public Relations and Marketing material.
- Maintain contact with local organizations, members of the business community and media to promote support and positive exposure. (shared function with the Executive Director)
- Submit a monthly report of updates to the Executive Director to be presented at monthly Board meetings.
- Network with other Development & Fund Raising professionals to keep abreast of changes and trends in the nonprofit industry.
- Represent HHT to the community through presentations and speaking events to businesses, corporations and foundations as well as attending chamber functions. (Shared function with the Executive Director).
- Oversee, manage and, with the help of the Operations Manager, administer all social media to ensure HHT is represented in a positive manner and to convey the value of HHT’s service to the state of Tennessee.
- Oversee communications and marketing in an effort to enhance the organization’s visibility in the communities that it serves and in the animal rights community nationwide. (Shared function with the Executive Director).
- Oversee the creation, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral. (Shared function with the Executive Director).
- Execute other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
BA or similar degree preferred with 2-3 years of work experience in fundraising/development, communications or marketing.
Work with passionate, dedicated people.
Operate in an environment where learning and creativity are valued.
Benefits package includes paid holidays, vacation leave and health insurance.
Horse Haven of Tennessee is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees. HHT will not discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital stasis, sex or sexual orientation.
How to Apply:
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Terry Holley, Executive Director by email: email@example.com or by mail to: Terry Holley Executive Director, Horse Haven of Tennessee P.O. Box 22841 Knoxville, TN 37933